Friday, June 28, 2013

3 Minutes of Awesome! Little Richard is the man...

This may be one of my all-time favorite recordings ever. I'm not sure when it was done, but it's not the original single released by Little Richard. It sounds like something from the 60s, but I'm not an expert on his discography. I love the drummer and the horns on this one.

In any event, Little Richard rocks the piano as well as anybody, and he outdoes the Beatles on his "woo" effects. His outrageous stage persona and unbridled raw energy make him one of my five "Founding Fathers of Rock" (along with Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis).

Ask one of my music theory students about my patented Little Richard impersonation...

I'll be on hiatus for the holiday week ahead. See you with more "3 Minutes of Awesome" on July 8. Happy Birthday, USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment