Monday, December 20, 2010

Dissertation Defense

This morning, I got up, went for a run at the club, came home, had breakfast, put on my nicest red, gray, and black outfit for good luck, and logged on to my computer to defend my dissertation. My professors were online for the video chat, two in Boston and one in Minneapolis. I began by reading a review of all of my research with accompanying PowerPoint slideshow. This took about 30 minutes, after which each professor asked me questions about what I had discussed and what was written in the actual dissertation. Then they told me to go offline while they discussed my presentation and answers. After about twenty minutes, I received a phone call to log back on, at which time my primary professor congratulated me on a successful defense and told me that I am now officially Dr. Brame. Then he gave me the final revisions I need to make before submitting my document for binding and graduating on January 31. So while my work is not quite done, my degree is.

Thanks to all of my students, friends, colleagues, and family for all of your support and encouragement. It has been quite a journey, and I am grateful that you all accompanied me on it.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. B

5 comments:

  1. Wow!

    Dr. Brame! That is going to get some getting used to. Congratulations!!

    -Max Polisky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Dr. Brame! Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations and for inspiring all our kids with your own hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Dr. Brame

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's great news! Can't wait to visit DHS and catch up a bit. Have a great break!

    -Alec Levy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm only sorry I couldn't congratulate you in person during the break. Great news, Dr. B!

    -Nick Raimondi

    ReplyDelete