Monday, July 27, 2009

Annual Summer Mailing, Etc.

By Wednesday, current students should be receiving the annual summer band mailing with details about the new year, such as some calendar dates, curriculum info, marching band camp, and my not so gentle reminder to become reacquainted with your musical instrument. I've actually been somewhat busier than usual with my saxophone over the past two months. While at the Wisconsin Comprehensive Musicianship workshop, I played every day in the demonstration rehearsals. My favorite session had me sight-transposing the alto clef viola parts to alto sax on orchestra day. Then, this past Sunday, I played in a combo for a jazz service at church. We had our contemporary worship pastor on piano, along with drums, bass, trumpet, trombone, and myself. One of the three singers was my daughter, who is a regular in the group. I got to write out some horn arrangements for a number of the pieces and do some improvising as well. It was interesting doing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" as a 5/4 Latin and "Ode to Joy" as a big-band swing tune. (Neither were my idea--I just did the voicings).

Anyway, I hope you are practicing now and then and enjoying yourself wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment