Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ramblings from Peoria

This past weekend I went to the Illinois Music Educators Association All-State Convention in Peoria. DHS was represented by seniors Hannah Andreasen in the Honors Choir and Alec Levy in the Future Music Educators Seminar. We traveled with Mrs. Akers and the HPHS contingent led by Dr. Hile. While there, I spent most of my time attending concerts and various music ed sessions. I saw performances by old college friends, Wayne Gordon and Peter Lograsso, conducting the Wood Oaks band and orchestra from Northbrook. The Fremd HS band, conducted by Matt Moore, gave a wonderful performance on Friday afternoon. I also saw the young composer showcase, which featured live performances and recordings of five of the finalists in various categories. I hope that next year we will have some DHS students involved in this prestigious composition contest.

The clinics I attended were very interesting. One featured a software product called SmartMusic that allows you to call up your very own part for a band piece, like the 2nd clarinet for Alligator Alley, and play along with a full-band recording. Then the computer will tell you how well you did. You can slow it down for practice, loop a tricky section, even change the key if you like. You can also call up the piano accompaniment for hundreds of solo pieces. If you are a trumpeter, you can play along with an orchestra on the Haydn trumpet concerto. If you slow down for a ritardando, the orchestra will slow down with you. There are also jazz playalongs available so you can practice your blues soloing. I plan to purchase this for the school and set it up in the theory room. For $30 a year, you will also be able to subscribe to it at home. In the future, some of our playing tests will be taken this way. You'll be able to record your excerpt onyour own time and email it to me for grading. This is going to be very cool!

Other sessions I saw were equally fascinating. An entire music technology class from the University of Illinois presented their projects, which used various computer programs to present music to students in a very visual manner. I also saw a string ensemble demonstrate improvised chamber music. On an interesting personal note, Melissa Gustafson-Hinds and the O'Fallon High School Wind Ensemble presented a clinic on comprehensive musicianship through performance (CMP). This approach to teaching music begins with a traditional rehearsal and performance model. It then incorporates composition, analysis, and history to provide a truly comprehensive music education. Instead of playing piece after piece without learning anything beyond the notes and rhythms, students gain multiple perspectives by actively engaging in the roles of composer, performer, and critic. My dissertation (the really long paper I have to write to finish my doctorate) is a survey of high school band directors to determine the extent of their awareness and implementation of CMP. It turns out that Mrs. Gustafson-Hinds is also doing doctoral research in CMP, so now I have someone with whom I can share ideas.

What I most enjoyed about the convention, however, is that I got to chat with three former students who are now band directors. Michael Holden (Class of '99) teaches 5th and 6th grade band at Highcrest Middle School in Wilmette. Jenni Morris (Class of '03) is a band director and general music teacher in Coal City, IL. Aaron Mulder (also Class of '03) teaches band, choir, and general music at Frederick School in Grayslake. All three are enjoying the joys and trials of being young music educators. It is very fulfilling to see "my children" carrying on the great DHS band tradition in new places. I also chatted with future music educator Emma Burrows (Class of '06) who will be out looking for her own band director position in a couple of years.

So that's the report from IMEA '09. I hope that in coming years, we will have more DHS perfomers involved in the all-state groups. Juniors, sophomores, and freshmen--start practicing now!

No comments:

Post a Comment